From the Colonial Press
England and Her Colonies
The discouragement of colonization is certainly not the feeling of the great majority of the people of England, and it is equally certain that it is not the policy of this empire. Whatever may be the fate of the several British colonies at some future and distant period, it is something at least to have spread our laws and language, and moral character, over the most distant parts of the globe. The colonies that speak the language of Old England – that preserve her manners and her habits – will always be her best customer; and their surplus capital will always centre in the mother country.
The Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas.) 11 December 1829
Sir Walter’s Diligence
The Edinburgh Library Journal, in a recent number – furnishes the following stupendous catalogue of Sir Walter Scott’s productions:
“Sir Walter, then Mr. Scott, first appeared before the public in 1799 (just thirty years go), as the translator of a tragedy from the German, called Goetz of Berlichingen with the Iron Hand. It was published in London anonymously, and has been little heard of since. In 1802, he published the Ministrelsy of the Scottish Border, with an Introduction and Notes, 2 vols. 8vo. In 1804, Sir Tristrem, a Romance, by Thomas of Ercildoune, with a Preliminary Dissertation and Glossary; in 1805, the Lay of the Last Minstrel; in 1806, Ballads and Lyrical Pieces; in 1808, Marmion – and the Works of John Dryden, in 18 vols. Illustrated with Notes, Historical, Critical, and Explanatory, and a Life of the Author.
(*Sir Walter Scott was said to have revived the legend of Thomas the Rhymer.)
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW) 5 December 1829
Shipping Intelligence. Arrivals on the Ship Lotus from Swan River included Mr. John Learmonth. (*She was built in 1828 in Whitby, UK, 397 tonnes and sheathed with copper.)
The Sydney Herald (NSW) 8 August 1831
Commercial News. Sydney General Trade List.
Compiled and Published under the Authority of Customs.
Imports. July 26 Camden (ship), 432 tons, Fulcher master, from London, J. F. Church & Co. agents; 108 male prisoners, and government stores.
Maid of the Mill (schooner); 14 tons, Mosman master, from Twofold Bay, J. Learmonth agent, 80 packets staves, 5 empty casks, 40 bundles hoops, 26 bundles hoop iron, 14 bars iron, C. Staples.
Currency Lass (schooner), 90 tons, Buckell master, from New Zealand, H. Donnison agent, 20 tons flax, 5 loads spars, H. Donnsion.
Georgiana (ship), 403 tons, Thompson master, from London, G. Bunn agent, 180 male prisoners, and government stores
Exmouth (ship) 723 tons, Warren master, from London, W. Walker & Co. agents, 298 male prisoners, and government stores.
Palambam (ship), 394 tons, Willis master, from the Cove of Cork, A. B. Spark agent, 114 female prisoners, 50 free girls, and government stores.
Exports.Friendship (schooner) 88 tons, Hastings master, for Launceston; 17 hearth stones, 5 packages 24 window cills, 12 grindstones, 12 planks cedar, 7 cases tobacco pipes, 10 casks, 3 cases oranges, 70 bags maize, 5 bags potatoes, 3 bundles fruit trees, 2 cases cheese, 18 casks beef, 30 tons coals, 1 keg tobacco, 3 cases soap, 16 horses, 1 gig, 1 case saddler, 1 truss blankets, 2 casks slops, 2 casks herrings, 8 casks hardware, 1 cask beer, 2 casks vinegar, 8 casks wine, 5 bags rice, 4 puncheons rum, and stores.
Eamont (barque), 271 tons, Walmesley master, for London, 337 bales, 1 bag wool, 4,063 horns, 1,787 tips of horns, 3,024 hides, 222 bales flax, 110 casks sperm oil, 7 cases curiosities, 1 case tippets, 1 chest plate, 1 box bullion, and stores.Eleanor (barque), 301 tons, Cock master for Moreton Bay and Batavia, troops and stores. (*One of the more interesting cargos were two emus, who travelled on the John Bull, and were delivered to the then Governor-General of India (1813-21), the Marquess of Hastings: Francis Rawdon-Hastings, as a gift from the Scottish born Governor of New South Wales, Governor Macquarie.)
The Sydney Herald (NSW) 19 September 1833
Projected Departures. Harlequin, 71 tons, Learmonth and Co. agents, 22nd instant.
Launceston Elizabeth, 51 tons, Learmonth and Co. agents, 20th instant.
New Zealand – Byron, 79 tons, Learmonth and Co. agents, 22nd instant.
Raiatea Ulitea, 75 tons, Learmonth and Co. agents, 22nd instant.Spirits and Tobacco – Stock on hand, 14th instant, B.P. rum, 107,674 gallons; brandy, 6,698 gallons; gin, 11,595 gals; other spirits, 1,463 gallons; tobacco, 84,063lb.
The Colonial Times (Tas.) 8 September 1835
Calcutta. The fine sailing barque, Adelaide, 336 tons, A. Steel, Commander, will sail for the above port on the 1st October, touching at King George’s Sound and Swan River, if sufficient freight offers. For freight or passage, having excellent accommodation, apply to Learmonth, & CO. 2, Old Wharf.
The Sydney General Trade List (NSW) 20 September 1834
Elizabeth, (schooner), 51 tons Hart, master, from Launceston, Learmonth & Co., agents; 1,200 bushels wheat, 2 bundles skins, John Hart; 12 bundles skins, Order.
(*Under Shipping Disasters it is reported that in August 1852 the Schooner Elizabeth, 80 tons, was wrecked near Cape Otway when sailing from Melbourne to Adelaide.)
The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW) 25 June 1835
Scotland. The Glasgow Liberal, an excellent paper, up to the 16th January, enables us to give a summary of the elections in the north. They will be read with interest, by every Scotchman who regards the feeling of his country on this memorable occasion………
Edinburgh – The Conservative interest was taken up by Mr. Learmonth and Lord Ramsay (son of the Earl of Dalhousie,) against the Liberals, Mr. Abercromby and Sir John Campbell. The latter beat their opponents by a majority of more than a thousand votes.
“The land is, in short, open and available in its present state, for all the purposes of civilized men. We traversed it in two directions with heavy carts, meeting no other obstruction than the softness of the rich soil; and in returning over flowery plains and green hills, fanned by the breezes of early spring, I named this region Australia Felix.” (Major Sir) Thomas Mitchell, 1836. Surveyor and Explorer.
The Hobart Town Courier (Tas.) 22 January 1836
On Sale ex Psyche.
Loaf sugar, tamarind syrup, capillaire (*a beverage made from the leaves of the Maidenhair Fern), pine-apple rum in bottle, curry power, cheroots, straw hats, silk choppahs, Mirzapur carpets, log line and twine, Bengal canvass, cayenne pepper, chillies, real Bengal. Learmonth & CO. No. 2, Old Wharf.
Van Diemen’s Land Despatches
The True Colonist Van Diemen’s Land Political Despatch, and Agricultural and Commercial Advertiser 23 October 1835. Ship News. Oct., 20. Arrived the barque Perthsire, Captain Jamison, from Leith, with a general cargo. Passengers, Dr. Learmonth, Thomas Learmonth, Somerville Learmonth, Andrew James Learmonth, Miss Margaret Learmonth, Miss C. Ann Learmonth……
Arrived the brig, Caroline, Captain Briggs, with oil from the fishery.
Arrived the schooner, Prince of Denmark, with oil from the fishery.
The Hobart Town Courier (Tas.) 28 October 1836
Governor Lieutenant-General George Arthur responded by letter to Thomas Learmonth, Esq., and the Gentlemen presenting the Address with his letter from Government House.
We think there is not a heart in the whole island so hard as not to be softened at the perusal of the following document from the hand of Colonel Arthur which we copy from the Gazette of this day. As the father of a numerous family having a powerful and legitimate claim on His Majesty’s government we sincerely thank His Excellency on the part of our children for his promised advocacy of them in this distant land when he reaches the Court of London. We regret that our limits prevent us from saying more on this affecting occasion.
Government House, (Tasmania) Oct. 27.
“Lieutenant Governor Arthur received charge of the Government of Van Diemen’s Land on the 14th day of May, 1824, and on the 28th day of the same month, His Excellency received the assurance of the Clergy, Magistrates, Landholders, and Inhabitants, that “they felt, that it would be no less their inclination than their duty to manifest their respect to his person and government on all occasions,” and that “they could not but anticipate from his administration, the most beneficial results to their general interests;” this assurance His Excellency then “received as a pledge that he should in every measure of improvement, be strengthened by their cordial co-operation.”
It is gratifying to the Lieutenant Governor, and he feels it, also, to be duty now that his Government draws towards its close, to acknowledge in the language of gratitude and affection, that this pledge has been, on the part of the Clergy, the Magistrates, and the Landholders and Inhabitants, most fully redeemed. But, whilst His Excellency is conscious, that the mutual obligation thus entered into, is about to be dissolved, he appreciates most highly the cordial sentiments which on the present occasion have been so generally expressed towards him; and he feels that the kind relation which has so long subsisted between himself and this Community, can never cease.
It is also peculiarly gratifying to His Excellency, that the time of separation has not arrived, until after the fruits of the co-operation he had adverted to, have become strikingly manifest in every district, until after the hut, has in so many instances been succeeded by the mansion, and the temporary shed, by the well ordered, and more than all, until after the word of God has begun to be preached in almost every district, and a charter of religious privileges been confirmed to this people by a beneficent Government, insuring to every denomination, the utmost extent of religious freedom.
His Excellency takes this opportunity of assuring those inhabitants whose recent applications on matters of interest to be submitted to the Secretary of State, it has been found impossible in the recent pressure of business to do more than acknowledge, that he will take care that their claims are brought properly under the attention of His Majesty’s Government, and that he will feel it to be a special duty to represent personally for most favourable consideration, the claims so often pressed upon his attention by the youth of the Colony under the Downing-street notifications, of 1824, 1826, and 1827.
With these feelings and intentions, and with the most sincere and heartfelt desire for their future happiness and prosperity, Lieutenant Governor Arthur bids the inhabitants of this Colony, farewell.” George Arthur.
The George Town Address
On Wednesday last a numerous deputation from the subscribers to the service of Plate to be presented to the Lieutenant Governor, met at Government-house, and at two o’clock were introduced by the Aid-de-Camp to His Excellency. Mr Learmonth addressed His Excellency on the part of the Deputation, and observed, that he felt gratified in expressing to His Excellency the opinion entertained of the ardour and unremitting attention which he had devoted to the best interests of the colony during the long period of his administration, not only by the respectable body now in attendance, but by the still more numerous subscribers.
Entertaining these sentiments, the subscribers have ventured to express their regard and esteem for His Excellency by requesting his acceptance of a service of Plate. His Excellency, who appeared very sensibly affected during the delivery of Mr. Learmonth’s address, replied in the following terms: –
To Thomas Learmonth, Esq., and the Gentlemen presenting the Address.
We the undersigned inhabitants and visitors of George Town and its vicinity, beg to assure your Excellency that it is with unfeigned sorrow we have heard of your intended departure from this island feeling convinced that it has been to your indefatigable zeal joined to the excellence of your public and private character that we are indebted under providence for the many blessings we have enjoyed in this highly favoured colony.
Accept, Sir, our warmest wishes for your welfare and happiness and that you may long live to enjoy the inward satisfaction of having so long and so faithfully performed your arduous duties in the devout prayer of Your Excellency’s most obedient and faithful servants, (Signed by upwards of 70 of the Inhabitants.)
Government House, 2th October 1836
Gentlemen, – I thank you most sincerely for this gratifying expression of esteem and attachment, and for the kind feeling which has dictated the terms in which you refer to the blessings enjoyed by the inhabitants of this colony. It is most gratifying to me, that since the time of my departure has come, it has arrived at a period when your present condition and future prospects are so highly encouraging. Gentlemen, with the most sincere wishes for your future happiness, and that of those whom you now represent, I bid you farewell. Geo. Arthur.
The Hobart Town Courier (Tas.) 18 November 1836
Colonial Advertisements
Advertisement. Wines ex Drummore.
Claret of three different vintages, in English bottles, Port wine, 1 year in bottle and Sherry 1st and 2nd qualities. The above wines are packed in 3 dozen cases, and are from the Stock of the Wine Company of Scotland. Another advertisement is for Hyson Tea (*A Chinese Green tea) in whole, half, and quarter chests, Mauritius or Bengal sugar both raw and refined, soap, sago, black pepper, ginger, saltpetre, Sandorcay, imitation Manilla and Havannah cigars, pickled pork in tierces, grass in bags for seed that was “perhaps the best feed for horses.”
A quantity of gunny bags for sale. Learmonth & co. 2, Old Wharf.
The Hobart Town Courier (Tas.) 27 January 1837
Advertisement. Tasmanian Insurance Company.
The public are respectfully informed, that the receipt for premiums on policies falling due 1st February next, are ready for delivery at the Company’s Office, No. 8, Macquarie-street, Hobart town, and also by the Agent at Launceston, and that payment should be made on or before the 15th February. Thomas Learmonth, Manager.
The Hobart Town Courier (Tas.) 3 February 1837
Advertisement. Sheep Wanted. From 500-1000 good young Ewes. Also four steady active men who thoroughly understand the management of Sheep, and who will be required to proceed to Port Phillip immediately. Also two good serviceable mares, either for draught or saddle. Apply to Mr. Learmonth, 8 Macquarie-street. Hobart-town.
Gazette Notices and Land Claims
The Sydney Gazette & New South Wales Advertiser (NSW) 2 February 1839
Shipping Intelligence. Arrivals. From Hobart Town, same day, whence she sailed the 23rd ultimo, the schooner, Marian Watson, Capt. Thomas Ayers, with a general cargo. Passengers, Mr. Thomas Learmonth, Mrs. Vawser, and Mrs. Parker. Agent. Mr. D. Egan.
The Colonial Times (Hobart,Tas.) 5 March 1839
Shipping Intelligence. Marian Watson, Schooner, 146 tons – Arrived from Sydney with cedar. Passengers T. Learmonth, Esq., Mrs. Evans, family and servant, Mr. Hatch, Mr. Boyle, Mr. Young, Mrs. Arnott and three children. Rev. Mr. Mason and lady, W. Robinson, Catherine Gormon. A. Morrison, agent.
October 1840. Sir George Gipps reported that “a race of Englishmen are living in bark huts in a state of semi-barbarism because the conditions of their leases do not make it worthwhile to build permanent dwellings”.
The Courier (Tas.) 24 November 1840
Custom House. Notice is hereby given, that unless the under-mentioned goods are cleared from the Bonded Warehouse on or before, Friday, the 4th of the ensuing month, they will be sold by Public Auction, on the Tuesday following, for the duties, rent, &c., at 12 o’clock in the forenoon: ……One case cheroots, bonded by T. Learmonth, on 20th June, 1835, ex Africaine…Three cases cheroots, F. 2-4, bonded by T. Learmonth, 23rd November, 1835, subsequently transferred to R. Sutherland, ex Psyche… (*The Africaine was the first ship to being paying immigrants to South Australia. She also carried the equipment for the first newspaper in the colony.)
The Moreton Bay Courier (Brisbane-Qld.) 31 October 1846
Causes and Cure for Foot-rot in Sheep.
(From the Launceston Examiner.) The sheep should be laid on its back on the ground, and examined, the feet should be carefully washed, pared, cleaned, and dressed with the following solution – One pint spirits of turpentine, Three quarters of a pint white wine vinegar, Four ounces verdigris (*Verdigris is the patina found on copper of brass caused by atmospheric oxidation). Two ounces blue vitriol (crystalline copper sulphate), One-ounce butter of antimony (apparently a formula that includes hydrochloric acid and antimony oxychloride that is corrosive to metals and tissue).
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW) 2 August 1842
The Waverley Novels. (From the Times.)…”the reader will have the real portraitures of almost all Scott’s heroes from history, of all the castles and towers that haunted his imagination, and of all the multifarious articles of curiosity which he delighted in assembling about him, and showing off to his visitors.” The first number, the only one which has yet appeared, contains a portion of Waverly, and comprises, among the landscapes, a view of the Highlands, from the Teith below Callander, and of the celebrated Eildon-hills, the land of Thomas of Ercildoune.
1848 Bishop Perry drove through the district in 1848 and found the church ‘shut down through her own sloth and luke-warmness.’ He preached on this occasion in the woolshed at Ercildoun, but no matter what their persuasion, ministers of religion were welcomed to the squatter’s homestead (The Flowers of the Field, A History of Ripon Shire by Hugh Anderson).
The Melbourne Daily News (Vic.) 12 February 1849
Port Phillip Government Gazette. (Published by Authority). Superintendent’s Office, Melbourne, January 1849. Claims to Leases of Lands, Beyond the Settled Districts, Portland Bay District. Claim No. 165.
John and Thomas Learmonth, junior, and Somerville Learmonth.
Name of run – Burrumbeet. Estimated area – 73,312 acres.
Estimated grazing capability – 45,000 sheep.
From a honeysuckle tree at the south-east angle of Messrs Donald and Hamilton’s run (from which point Boninyong bear south 66’ east, and Worrongneep south 81’ east) by a line bearing south 8’ east to a gum tree (marked) on the margin of a dry lagoon about 100 chains, thence to a Gum tree on the margin of the same lagoon north 3’ west 65 chains, thence to the margin of a lagoon known as the White Stone lagoon, north 33’ west 120 chains, thence found the eastern margin of the White Stone lagoon 210 chains, thence from the termination of a plough furrow on the margin of the same lagoon by a line passing through another lagoon known as the Horse lagoon to a lightwood tree on its north-eastern margin north 43’ west 110 chains, thence to a gum tree on the top of a small hill north 26’ west 9¾ chains, thence to a Honeysuckle tree at the north-west angle north 49’ west 158 chains, the above lines divide the station from Messrs. Donald and Hamiton’s run, from the same Honeysuckle tree at the north-west angle to a lightwood tree north 63’ east 125 chains, thence to a lightwood tree north 35’ east 95 chains thence to a Gum tree, marked west near the Pyrenees road south 76’ east 240 chains, thence to a tree marked west in the Mount Greenock creek north 47’ east 255 chains, thence to a double Gum tree at the northern angle north 3’ east 140 chains, the above lines divide the stations from Messrs. Robertson and Skene’s runs; from the same double Gum tree at the northern angle to an old Gum tree at a point of timber south 70’ east 72 chains, thence to a heap of stone on the Plain south 78’ east 56 chains, thence to a Gum tree at the top of a ridge south 68’ east 48 chains; the above lines divide the stations from Messrs. Macadam (?) and Co’s runs; from the same Gum tree along the top of a granite range known as Mount Beckwick range in a direction about south 42’ east about 160 chains till it meets Messrs. Coghill’s boundary; the above line separates the stations from Mr. Cameron’s run, the next boundary being that with Messrs. Coghill is in dispute and unsettled. From a lightwood tree on the Pyrenees road to a tree on the top of Bald hill on the margin of little “Borrumbeet” south 11’ east 82 chains, thence to a lightwood tree on the margin of that lagoon south 3’ east 26 chains, thence across little “Borrumbeet” to a lightwood tree on the point of the Saddle-backed hill south 11’ east 187 chains, thence to a broken, dead honeysuckle in the “Borrumbeet” creek, south 39’ east 135 chains thence to a Gum tree on Viscount hill south 10’ east 276 chains, thence to a lightwood tree south 52’ east 160 chains; the above lines divide the stations from Mr. W.J.T. Clarke’s runs; from the same lightwood tree south 40’ west 34 chains, thence to a stringy bark tree on the Borrumbeet road south 145 chains; the above lines divide the stations from Mr. Winter’s runs; from the same stringy bark tree along the Borrumbeet road 108 chains to another stringy bark tree, thence to a Honeysuckle tree near the creek about 400 yards below “Hugh’s’ waterhole south 79’ west 58 chains, thence to a lightwood tree west 48 chains, thence to a Gum tree in the range near the Portland road north 79’ west 224 chains; the above lines divide the stations from Mr. Archibald Yuille’s run; from the same Gum tree in the range to a double lightwood tree north 45’ west 205 chains, thence to a stake north 68’ west 253 chains; the above lines divide the stations from Messrs. Simson and Russell’s runs; from the same stake to another stake on Messrs. Donald’s and Hamilton’s boundary with Mr. Goldsmith, where the line runs through a dry marsh north 5’ west 181 chains; this line divided the station from Mr. Goldsmith’s run; thence to the Honerysuckle at the point of commencement.
Claim No. 166. John and Somerville Learmonth and Thomas Learmonth, junior.
Name of run – Boninyong. Estimated area – 12,838 acres. Estimated grazing capability – 5,000 sheep. From a lightwood tree near Dr. Power’s cottage (Boninyong bearing north 62’ east, about 2 miles distant) to a black-butted Gum tree on the Portland road to a marked Gum tree 45 chains, thence to the mouth of the gully known as the boundary gully south 82’ west 142 chains, thence to a lightwood tree south 60’ 184½ chains; the three last lines divide the station from Mr Winter’s station; from the same lightwood tree to another lightwood tree in a gully south 11’ west 182 chains, thence to a Peppermint Gum tree at the southern angle south 45’ east 204 chains; the above lines divide the station from Mr. Forbes’ run; from the same Peppermint Gum tree to a Gum tree on a waterhole in the Leigh river north 57’ east 95 chains; the above lines divide the station from Mr. Mercer’s run; from the same Peppermint Gum tree to a stringy bark tree on the old Sydney road north 132 chains, the above divides the station from Mr. Scott’s run; from the same stringy-bark tree to a Gum tree on the Tea Tree creek north 66’ west 37 chains; the above divided the stations from Messrs.
Porter and Flemmings’ runs; from the same Gum tree down the Tea Tree creek to another Gum tree 30 chains, thence to the lightwood tree at the point of commencement north 22’ west 20 chains; the above lines and forest described in this paper divide the station from the Inn reserve.
*Apparently they pitched a tent where the Buninyong Homestead was built but I haven’t been able to find any photos or drawings of this property.
The Argus (Melbourne-Vic.) 20 February 1849
Superintendent’s Offices, Melbourne, January 1848. Claims to Leases of Crown Lands, Beyond the Settled Districts, Portland Bay District. Claim No. 308. Archibald Buchanan Yuille. Name of run – Ballarat. Estimated area – 10,000 acres. Estimated grazing capability – 5000 sheep.
(*His cousin William Cross Yuille had sold his Lease to him. William had also been involved in the exploration party with Thomas Learmonth and Henry Anderson to Northern Victoria, that included the area that became the Ercildoune run. In 1836 he and his cousin took up the Murgheballoak run on the Barwon River. He then went to New Zealand in 1840, was sole Lessee of the Rockback run on the Werribee Plains, then had Barwidgee station at Ballanrong in 1851.
He travelled to England in the 1850s and on his return settled in Williamstown where he set up a large stable and became a well-known figure in horse racing and founded the bloodstock aucioneering firm W. C. Yuille & Co. – taken from the Australian Dictionary of Biography.)
The Great Sale of 1851
By the early 1850s there were 1200 different stations or runs, with undefined boundaries, grazing 6.6 million sheep, and approximately half of these runs were held by Scots.
The Argus (Melbourne-Vic.) 1 February 1851
Saturday, 1St March. Great Sale of Sheep Stations in the Western District.
An unprecedented opportunity for investing either for the large or small Capitalist.
LOT I. The West Strathdownie Station, with about 8,000 Sheep, and estimated to carry 12,000.
Lot II. The East Strathdownie Station, with about 10,000 Sheep, estimated to carry 16,000. (This Station will be sold either in one lot, or subdivided into two stations, with about 5,000 sheep on each. The stations are all watered by the Glenelg river and by permanent lagoons and are 70 miles from Portland.)
Lot III.
The splendid Station Boninyong, on the River Leigh, 50 miles from Geelong, and 65 from Melbourne (containing about 13,000 acres of land), with about 6,000 sheep.
The proprietors of the abovementioned Stations being about to return to England, have instructed Messrs. Bear and Son to offer them for sale by auction, at their Exchange Rooms, Queen-Street, on Saturday, 1st March at Twelve o’clock.
The Boninyong Station having been used by the proprietors as their residence, the improvements on it are perhaps more extensive and complete than those on any other station in the Colony. Among the principal may be mentioned,
A Dwelling House, with six rooms. Garden, well stocked with fruit trees in full bearing, Four three-roomed Cottages, Eight one roomed Cottages, Blacksmith’s Shop, Cooper’s Shop, Sheep Wash very complete, with spouts and hot water apparatus. A Boiling down Establishment and Apparatus with a Fell mongering Establishment annexed; a two storied millhouse with a four horse flour mill, threshing and winnowing machine, a 400 acre horse paddock, 50 do grass do, 40 do grain do (the greatest portion of which can be irrigated), and a pig paddock of 160 acres.
A very low valuation has been placed upon these improvements, at which they are to be taken by the purchaser; and the freehold of 480 acres of land, judiciously selected, on this Station under the pre-emptive right, in the vicinity of the township of Boninyong, will be offered by the purchaser at Government cost prices.
The auctioneers would earnestly invite men of capital to inspect this property, feeling convinced that they cannot invest in a more paying speculation, for, independently of the Station being a most profitable sheep run, a splendid income may annually be derived from the boiling down business, for which the situation is admirably adopted, being in the very heart of the most fattening part of the western country, and every requisite for carrying it on, is on the establishment, such as hoop and blacksmith’s iron, &c. &c. In fact may now be seen in full operation.
Working bullocks, drays, from 90-130 pigs, oats, potatoes, and implements, are to be taken at a valuation. Flour, tea, and sugar, may be taken at market prices with carriage added.
The Sheep. On all the Stations are of a superior breed, as a proof of which the clip always realizes prices amongst the highest of any in the colony. The sexes and ages of the sheep may be learnt, as well as any further particulars, on application at the rooms of the auctioneers, where charts of the stations may be seen, and letters to view obtained.
Black Thursday and a Voyage to London
6 February 1851 The Black Thursday Bushfires killed 12 people, 1 million sheep and thousands of cattle and other animals. It burnt around one quarter of Victoria = 19,000 square miles or 12 million acres. George Robinson recorded in his diaries that the local aborigines saved Captain Hepburn’s family and home by directing them to a safe spot near the creek.
23 May 1851 Thomas and Somerville Learmonth take a voyage to London departing from Williamstown.
In 1851 the peace and tranquility of the district had been shattered as word got around that gold had been discovered in the area in August 1851. By 1853 there were 20,000 miners, of many nationalities, searching for gold in the Ballarat area.